"Thought breeds thought; children familiar with great thoughts take as naturally to thinking for themselves as the well-nourished body takes to growing; and we must bear in mind that growth, physical, intellectual, moral, spiritual, is the sole end of education." ~ Charlotte Mason

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sow Truth

It's amazing to see how The Lord gives exactly what is needed when it is needed.   While working on The Documented Life Project I noticed there were some who were combining a couple of other journaling techniques into what resulted in a year long focus to walk out their relationships with The Lord in a unique, powerful and profoundly concrete way.  This appealed to me, for I have come to learn something important about the way I am put together: I am a visual and kinesthetic learner.  I love to be active in my learning, it helps me reflect and remember; it provides both a focus and an outlet for me.  In understanding this about myself, I realized that Documented Faith and Illustrated Faith were something I could easily combine with what I was doing with The Documented Life Project.

Documented Faith is similar to The Documented Life in that a prompt is offered but it is built around a word of focus each month, scripture is given each week to encourage and focus on. The word for January is: truth.  I am amazed by how this way of approaching my month went so well with my word for this year: sow.  I have chosen to take the word from Documented Faith for the first week of each month and create a page in my journal to illustrate that word. In tandem with this I will begin the month with a day of fasting devoted solely to pray specifically about how The Lord will use this month to sow that particular word into my life.  Fasting has come up so often in my personal Bible study and through other various means that I could not ignore its call of obedience in my walk with the Lord.  The following weeks will be more of a journal format as I write thoughts and/or prayers.

Illustrated Faith is built around a journal Bible.  I have had my eye on the ESV Single Column Journalling Bible for a while now but wasn't sure how I would use it.  One went on sale this week at Christian Book Distributing for 63% off and it is in my favorite colour too! :) I will use my journaling Bible to read from and emphasis a particular theme or passage of scripture The Lord is revealing to me throughout the week.

I am thankful for how God is working in this year of sowing.  I can see Him moving, providing and speaking to bring all these things together for me.  This is the first time I have done anything like this, it will stretch me in different areas and provide an intentional season of sowing.  I am so thankful for how He is working it all out. It honestly feels like a balm to this thirsty soul of mine.  He knows what I need this year, what I am looking and longing for. This soul has needed this, in so many ways.

Below is the page for January.  The elements of this page all hold meaning for me.  I used an old hymnal as the book paper for the back drop of my page.  The hymn is: The Old Rugged Cross, I love this hymn, it is one of my favourites.  I painted in bright colours and then added the verses I wanted to begin the year off in.  I am just posting the initial page prompt for the month the rest of the journal will be private. :)


1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful Cindy. I really like how individual each journal is for each person participating in this project.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by! Please comment if you like. :)