"Thought breeds thought; children familiar with great thoughts take as naturally to thinking for themselves as the well-nourished body takes to growing; and we must bear in mind that growth, physical, intellectual, moral, spiritual, is the sole end of education." ~ Charlotte Mason

Friday, May 18, 2012

Weekly Wrap Up: Mother's Day/5K training/Lap books

We've been working on Lap Books this week.  We started Zoology Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day at the children's request.  So we started on the lap books for the the first chapter.  The picture above is the file folder folded into lap book style.  The picture below is the cover of one of the kids lap book.  They really enjoy making the cover for their lap books. :)  This one is Graham's.  He had a great time drawing these birds.

 The lap book below shows some of the information.  We are just at the beginning, so we haven't done the writing in it yet.  That is next week's work.  We've been using
from the Knowledge Box Central Series to create our lap books.  I'm very pleased with it.  It shows how to put the lap book together along with all the sheets to photocopy.  The information 'sticks' better presented in this format.


My little one wanted to spend some time doing some work on her alphabet so I started her with The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading .  She has been working well with this approach and I have found the program to be very complete and whole in its approach.  One of the best I have seen yet.  She worked on the alphabet puzzle below as well.  She really  loves this puzzle and played with a fair amount throughout the week.
The finished product.  She is very proud.
 It was Mother's Day this past weekend and I wanted to share the gifts my kids gave.  My eldest daughter crocheted me a lovely hot pad.  She did such a great job and I was thrilled.  They also gave me a new mug to enjoy a good cup of Joe in and a lovely new Bible in the NASB version.  I had been wanting one in that version to carry with me in my purse.  My youngest daughter made me that beautiful card at Sunday School along with the sucker flower!  I felt very special and loved! :) 

 My daughter and I have been training for a 5K this week.  We are on week 2 of our training schedule and have been having an amazing time doing this together.  We're using the program From Couch to 5K. We've also had the opportunity to go on several runs just by ourselves too.  Our favorite place to run is along the Riverfront.  The view is gorgeous and it's been some nice solid mother/daughter time.  The scripture we have been working through this week is Hebrews 12, we've been talking about how running the race of our faith is like training for the 5K.  I feel like it's been hitting home with the kids.  We haven't always been able to run by ourselves so at those times I take the kids to the track, while my daughter and I run the other two ride their bikes have a wonderful time as well.  They usually shout some encouragement while riding along beside us! lol  I've been sore this week but it's been worth every moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by! Please comment if you like. :)